A cleansing balm is a facial cleanser that has a solid or buttery texture which, once warmed up, melts into an oil on the skin and emulsifies into a creamy liquid once you add water. It is best suited for dry or very dry skin, but can also be used on other skin types. It gently cleanses the face, removing dirt or impurities and makeup. Most importantly, balms moisturize and nourish skin, and not dry it.
Difference Between A Cleansing Balm And Other Types Of Cleansers
There are a few differences between cleansing balms and liquid cleansers. Some other cleanser types include:
- Cleansing gels give a foamy consistency
- Foam cleansers are designed for a more combination to oily skin type
- Oily skin will have above-normal oil production, so foam cleansers are used to balance that oil production
- These cleansers are more of a creamy, yet a water-based product
- Used for a dry, or sensitive skin type
- They work well for dissolving dirt, but be aware that this type of cleanser does not always offer thorough cleanse
Compared to these two cleanser types, cleansing balms provide a deeper cleanse without irritating the skin.
When To Use Cleansing Balm?
If you wear makeup daily or spend a lot of time outdoors, your skin can start to look dull or dry. If you want to boost your skincare routine, a cleansing balm is the right product for you. Although it is said to be beneficial exclusively for dry skin, the balm has excellent results on oily skin as the oils used in balms attract other oils, so it helps remove any excess.
Benefits Of Using A Cleansing Balm
Let’s take a look at some of the benefits of using a cleansing balm:
A Thorough Cleanse
Unlike lotions, cleansing balms stipulate deeper cleansing nourishment and have moisturizing properties. They also remove heavy and waterproof makeup and thickly applied SPF better than most other cleansing lotions.
Leaves Skin Softer
Unlike surfactant-based cleaners, the ones that tend to foam up, natural cleansing balms are non-irritating and don’t dry out your skin, compromising its moisture barrier or disrupting its pH. Therefore, your skin stays soft and smooth.
Compared to other cleansing procedures, including masks and oils, cleansing balms do not leave a trace of mess in your bathroom, and neither product is wasted.
How To Pick A Suitable Cleansing Balm?
Go for the ones rich in natural waxes and oils for the best choice, as these will be naturally compatible with your skin. There is nothing wrong with testing products by applying a small amount on your wrist to ensure that your skin is receiving the product well. Try to avoid products with potentially harmful ingredients like parabens and phthalates.
How To Use Cleansing Balm?
Let’s take a look at how to use natural cleansing balms.
Using As A Cleanser To Wash Your Face:
- Apply a small amount of balm on clean hands and warm it up between your fingers
- Once it starts melting a little, apply to your dry face, and begin to gently massage
- Rinse it off with warm water
Using For Removing Makeup:
- In the same manner, apply cleansing balm on the dry face; you can massage more like from 30 seconds to 2 minutes for deeper cleanse
- You can use a face halo or a cotton pad to remove the makeup thoroughly; if you are wearing an SPF, double cleansing is recommended
- And lastly, remove the excess by rinsing with water
We have seen how beneficial cleansing balm can be for certain types of skin compared to other types of cleansers. We have also discussed the benefits of using cleansing balms, picking the right one, and using them for different situations. Now you are fully equipped to go for the right option for you.